Subscription Payments (beta)
Subscription payments - where a payment is charged to a payer on a regular schedule (weekly, monthly, yearly, etc).
You are a SaaS (software as a service) platform that wants to charge your customers a recurring monthly fee for the use of your software or service.
WePay provides the following objects as part of it's subscription feature:
- Subscription Plan: This object represents the template for individual subscriptions. An example would be "Gold Plan: $40.00/month". Anyone signing up for the "Gold" Subscription plan would be charged $40 per month and their subscription would be linked to this plan.
- Subscription: This object represents the individual subscription that a payer would subscribe to. The subscription object tracks what payer is subscribed, their payment details, what subscription plan they are using.
- Subscription Charge: This object represents an individual payment as part of a subscription. If someone signed up for the "Gold Plan: $40/month", then a subscription payment object would be created each month that represented the $40 charge to that payer.
There are two options for signing up payers for subscriptions:
- iFrame - iFrame uses the /subscription/create API call to obtain a subscription_uri which can be used to sign up the payer for a subscription. This method lets you use WePay's pre-built and optimized form to collect credit card information. As information is shared securely between the browser and WePay, any PCI compliance is avoided.
- Tokenization - Tokenization uses WePay's tokenization.js to obtain a credit card token which can submitted to the /subscription/create call. This method lets you use your own form to collect credit card information. As there is exposure to developer error or fraud, some PCI compliance is required.